Adding Sales Tax to Products
Be Aware that this tool is for non-EU listings only and should not be used for declaring VAT.
The Happinesz Shop is a venue so we can’t provide specific tax advice. It’s up to each seller to research their local laws about collecting and reporting taxes for their Happinesz Shop sales. Tax regulations can vary greatly by location. If you’re unsure how to charge tax, we encourage you to consult an accountant or other expert in your area.
If you do need to charge tax, you can specify a tax rate for each US state (by state, zip code, or range of zip codes), Canadian province, or country outside the US and Canada.
This article only applies to items sold on Happinesz.
Adding a Tax Rate
- Your shop needs to be open to the public. After you open you’ll need to add the tax rate and then go back and apply it to your listings as described below.
- If your shop is already open, go to Admin > Woocomerce > Accepted payments. Then, select the Sales Tax tab.
- Choose a US state, Canadian province, or country. You can also set rates for specific zip codes and ranges of zip codes within the US.
- Enter a tax rate in decimal format. For example, enter “6” if you want a tax rate of 6%.
- Repeat steps 2-3 for any additional locations and tax rates you wish to collect.
- Be sure to click Save.
After adding a tax rate to your shop, new listings you create will have the tax rate applied by default. We recommend checking your older listings, especially listings created prior to setting up a tax rate, to make sure these items are marked as taxable and that the tax rate is applied.
If you don’t want to charge tax on an item, when creating or editing a listing, uncheck the box next to the item’s price.
Sales tax is based on shipping location
For instance, if you’re in the state of Florida and you set a tax rate for Florida, a New York state buyer wouldn’t be charged tax.
The rate will be applied to the most localized area you specify
You can set a rate both for the US state of Florida and a specific zip code within Florida, 91040. Buyers with shipping addresses in the 91040 zip code would be charged the rate for 91040; all other Florida shoppers would be charged the Florida rate.
If a buyer uses a coupon code, the tax will be calculated from the discounted price.
You can set tax rates between 1.0000% and 25.0000%.
While the Happinesz Shop provides a means to apply taxes to your transactions, we do not warrant that these tax amounts will fully satisfy your sales and use tax reporting obligations. For a final determination on these matters, please seek assistance from your tax advisor.